Asia Next — HypeBeast-ing your Sales! Trending Now.
End of the World! Midnight. An 18-year-old teenager suffering from sleeplessness — picks up the phone, ready to make an end decision! Adding a product he wants to buy to the cart. But oddly enough, before he can click the BUY NOW button — opens his favorite social media platform and starts mindlessly scrolling through the feed.
A minute or two later, he stumbles across a video from his favorite influencer, subtly mentioning the product he just added to the cart but from a different brand. He checks out the caption, goes to their page/website, and suddenly starts comparing and looking at the recommended product in a new light (even though it costs more) and starts questioning his life choices!
Now he has two products in his cart! Same function, different brands. How will he make a choice? The answer is 3 paragraphs away.
Be the CHOSEN ONE.
This story can be of anyone sitting anywhere in the world! But strictly talking about the Asian audience which hops on from trend to trend, to make your product stick, here are the 3 mantras for this decade :
- Building Power Centers of Influence
- Video/Visual is the new way of Consumption
- Bizzare is the new “Trending”
- Creating Power Centers of Influence.
Re-emphasis increases recollection which directly impacts the buying decision. The conscious Asian audience is unlikely to decide with just one “influencer” reel, so, in more complex terms, the collective prevails more than the individual! Instead of focusing on just one, focus on a group of influencers distributing the core message with different packaging.
The goal here is not just to sell products but also to build a brand reputation. Here’s a quick checklist for the same -
- Platform: TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Twitter, or any other “trending” medium — Asia is a region of scattered consumer behaviors — understanding the popular Platforms of the marketplace that resonate with your consumer is the first nut to crack.
- Goal/Message Alignment: What are the underlying objectives? Brand Awareness? Sales? Re-Branding for a different Target Audience? Create a Power Center of influencers that resonates with your top goals.
- The perfect Person or Creator: Celebrities with cost and a massive following? Micro-or Nano-Influencers with low budget and high engagement? You can go either way, depending on your objectives. A celebrity will get you the exposure, and influencers can help you imprint your offering in the mind of the consumers.
- Generate Experience: While all brands are gearing towards Influencers if you want to make a splash, push for content that mirrors and enriches the distinct experiences that the audience craves.
2. Video Campaigns — Play. Like. Buy.
A picture speaks a thousand words. Imagine what a video or visual representation can do!
In 2019, Indonesia-based Tokopedia hired South Korean boyband BTS as their brand ambassadors to create awareness. The Youtube video hit more than 68 million views, and the application has more than 122 million lifetime downloads.
3. Ride the Bizarre Train — Meme-ify!
Crazy stories make waves on social media platforms. Sometimes the most random or ridiculous moments get picked up and explode! Remember this song from 2009 (aptly named)?
Although over a decade later, this song led to a series of viral TikTok(s)!
Also, let’s journey back to 2019.
JW Marriott Chandigarh. Monday. Oblivious of the cost, Rahul orders two bananas. The “Fruit Platter” arrived with a Rs. 442.40 (approx US$ 5) bill. He tweeted -
“You have to see this to believe it. Who said fruit wasn’t harmful to your existence? Ask the wonderful folks at @JWMarriottChd #goingbananas #howtogetfitandgobroke #potassiumforkings”
So, naturally, moments after this tweet was posted, it exploded. Not only people but companies, including Nature’s Basket, Policy Bazaar, Arre, Reliance SMART, Amazon Prime Video, OYO, and Pizza Hut, banked on this trend.
Ray Chan, a Hong Kong businessman, has built a successful business out of this trend — the popular platform
has created an interactive medium for users to “waste” their time scrolling through memes for hours! It is a hotspot for GenZ and Millennial audiences with a global following.
Social media platforms are known for expressive posts on trending topics that manifest all types of emotions. Content Creators & Brands closely following the trending stories and taking advantage of the meme culture can create a strong foothold in the marketplace. Now, here’s the promised answer:
According to a survey by Annalect & Twitter, 49% of consumers are dependent on influencers’ recommendations.
Are you lost?
Midnight. Somewhere in Asia. A person suffering from sleeplessness picks up the phone, ready to make an end decision! Adding a product he wants to buy to the cart. But oddly enough, before he can click the BUY NOW button — opens his favorite social media platform and starts mindlessly scrolling through the feed.
A minute or two later, he stumbles across a video from his favorite influencer, subtly mentioning the product he just added to the cart but from a different brand. He checks out the caption, goes to their page/website, and suddenly starts comparing and looking at the recommended product in a new light (even though it costs more) and starts questioning his choices!
Now he has two products in his cart! Same function, different brands. It’s a tough decision, what will he do? Tell me in the comments below!
Asia Next is a vlog and blog series about challenges & opportunities faced by global companies, and the Go-To-Market(GTM) strategies Rocker Capital has curated to make your navigation through the landscape easier. With a massive investor network and strong connections in the industry, we help Founders fulfill their Asian Ambitions.
Rocket Capital is a VC fund focusing on New Media Technology start-ups globally. We invest in pre-Series A, Series A & B companies and help founders scale in Asia.